landscape of decisions

I often worry about my concept of morality,
considering that I consciously do not ascribe to the strict religious ideals
with which I was raised. 
The golden rule and a live of love and compassion
have always most appealing to me, 
but that does not always provide an easy solution in specific situations.

Everyone who knows me, knows that I have always had a problem with rules.
I live in a world of grays and color gradations, 
which must aggravate my parents to no end.
Maybe it is my American need for freedom,
or a more European influence of a wider Weltanschauung.
In the end, aren't we all morally responsible for what we do,
no matter what code or structure of beliefs we take on as our own?



“I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”






0 comments:

Post a Comment