frog and toad

Truer words about quarantining have rarely been spoken. 


FROG AND TOAD
TENTATIVELY GO OUTSIDE
AFTER MONTHS IN SELF-QUARANTINE

by Jennie Egerdie


Monday Morning

Toad woke up.

In his bed was last night’s dinner plate.

And last night’s water glass.

And last week’s pile of laundry.

“Drat!” Toad said. “This room is a mess.”

Frog opened the door.

“Wow,” said Frog, “so this is where all our dishes went.”

“I will clean up later,” said Toad. “It is time to start work.”

Toad changed into his work pajamas.

He reached under a pillow for his laptop and opened up his email.

“I have so much work to do,” sighed Toad.

He set his Zoom background to a picture of his room when it was tidy.

“There,” said Toad. “Now I am professional.”


The Calendar

Frog looked at Toad’s calendar. The April page was on top.

“Toad,” said Frog, “do you think it is still April?”

“No,” said Toad, “I know it is August. But my brain feels stuck in April.”

“Mine too,” said Frog.

Frog ripped off the April page.

“Toad,” said Frog, “I do not understand time anymore.”

“Time means nothing now,” said Toad. “It is just the thing that happens between snacks.”



Exercise

Toad and Frog went for a long walk.

They walked across a large meadow.

They walked in the woods.

They walked along the river.

They stopped to take a break.

“I am already tired!” exclaimed Frog.

“My muscles have atrophied from being inside,” grumbled Toad.

Frog looked at his reflection in the water.

“I am out of shape,” said Frog. “I feel ugly.”

“You are not ugly,” said Toad. “You are beautiful.”

“I feel round,” sighed Frog.

Toad stared at Frog.

It was his most intense stare.

“Round is a beautiful shape,” said Toad.

Frog smiled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment