late night comfort food... future fridays

What a sweet stories about parents who have to deal with working late

I love this because it reminds me of my dad. I only saw him ever other weekend and he’d often have to work late into the night. Sometimes when he would get home, he’d come into my room and gently wake me, but never say a word. Groggy I’d get up and head straight to the kitchen, with just the light over the stove on. I can still remember sitting on the chair, legs dangling. My dad would place two bowls and two spoons on the table, open the pantry and take out a sleeve of cinnamon graham crackers, and crumble them into the bowls. Then he’d grab a half-gallon of milk from the fridge, shaking it feverishly because he knew I liked the bubbles. He would pour the milk into our bowls and we’d sit and eat in silence. Sometimes he’d wink at me and I’d giggle but mostly we would just enjoy the moment together, the calm. Then, he’d carry me back to bed, me hugging him tightly around is neck. Such a simple gesture but so meaningful and precious to me.

To this day, graham crackers and milk is still my all time favorite comfort food.



TOTALLY different, but this reminds me of a little thing we do as a family. My daughter was obsessed with Roald Dahl books, and after reading “Danny, Champion of the World”, we started having impromptu “midnight feasts”! We wake my daughter up at midnight or so, and we all go down to the kitchen in our PJs for sandwiches or cheese/charcuterie plates, or something fun. She thinks it is so WILD to eat when it is dark out and she loves the surprise. We never tell her it is going to happen!

via {cup of jo}

0 comments:

Post a Comment