an ode to reading aloud

This warmed my heart today. 
I hope you can make time to indulge in reading 
either to yourself or aloud to someone else.
Here's to books and their infinite magic--
Happy Sunday!

"Last week, I was at an event at the University of Minnesota and a woman came through the line with a copy of The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

She had me sign it for her son. 
“His teacher read it to him,” she told me. “And he’s been asking me for a copy of the book ever since.”
“Oh,” I said. “That makes me so happy.”

When I was in second grade, my teacher, Mrs. Boyette, read the Island of the Blue Dolphins aloud to the class. 
I remember coming home and telling my mother about the book.
I remember her buying me a copy.
And now, forty-six years later, I still have that book.



This is a thank-you to all the teachers who read aloud.
This is a thank-you to all you parents who listen.
This is a thank-you to everyone who puts stories into young peoples’ hands.

0 comments:

Post a Comment