stories from here

Day 31: Keep listening for more stoires.

I loved the interaction of story, sunlight, and people in these portraits.
Something about reading about so many normal people amongst turbulent political discussions gave me hope for the future.

I would love to create a project like this with music.

Click on the link below to read other stories.

a visual study of how our sense of place impacts us. 

by Aundre Larrow

Stories from here is a project created to ask the question, how does our sense of place impact thought? Thanks to the Adobe Creative Residency, I've had the pleasure to travel across this nation and learn about the micro stories that build into what makes a place a place.

During my Adobe Creative Residency, I am focusing on the simple question: how does our sense of place impact us? In my G Train series, it's about documenting the people of the G train as they are in transit and the silvers of humanity you see in an otherwise intermediary moment in our lives. For the Echo Chamber, it's about our greater sense of place as Americans, divided up by region, state and even by city. Throughout the year I will be traveling around the U.S. interviewing people about how they perceive themselves, their community and America. 




One story: Audrey S.
environmentalist / city kid /community activist.

"I think like the story I tell about myself as a kid is that I was a city kid and I didn't really interact with nature. But that's not true, we just don't respect urban nature like we respect “pure” nature untouched and it's just its a myth. It's all important and magical. "

On Environmentalism:
“I think the biggest scam in America is that environmental issues are political. My parents are very conservative and we can't talk about stuff that affects everybody. It's like environmental things are so politicized. And I think that's the biggest scam you know because the environment is supposed to be for everybody.“


Story: Tashina H.
dressmaker/army brat/transplant

"I traveled so much when I was a kid. My dad worked with the military. So every year, we would travel to a different city and I would go to different school. And then finally settled in St. Louis for high school. You have to learn how to make friends and adapt to a different city every time.​​​​​​​​​​​​​"

Fabric has a distinct feeling. The undulation of texture, when stretched or exposed to water, is something I never really thought about. Then I was standing there frumpy and smelly from sweat before a pristine rack of dresses that were for loves yet to be actualized. My clothing looked like rags in comparison, but I didn't have much time for self-pity. As she wheeled the rack out to make space for a portrait, I couldn't help but notice how Tashina touched each of them like a child she had carried and now will put up for adoption. A mix of swelling pride, completion and sentimentality came across her face before we sat down and chatted.


Story: Celia R.
El Pasoan / grandmother / matriarch.

On home: "It's the ties, it's the unity that's here.
My younger children have left El Paso to go work because, of course, they went to college. They went to work and they've been very successful. But they keep coming back. And every time they come back, their children don't want to leave. They don't come that often, maybe once or twice a year, but [when they do] they feel a unity. They feel that draw that they want to stay here. They don't want to leave."
"I think that people here are very are responsible, caring and have a mixture of traditions. It's a mixture of the cultures that we have.
via {stories from here}

0 comments:

Post a Comment