a purpose for work... future fridays

I loved this list of design principles, all of which could apply to the arts at large. I have been so down about the state of local, national, and international politics lately, that I keep wondering what I can do in my tiny corner of the world with my work. My home state just passed up its final legislative session, failing to pass a budget for the 2nd year in a row. 45 has done a number with his incoherent ramblings (#covfefe anyone?) both here and abroad. The Paris Climate Accord was abandoned yesterday like a reality TV stunt. And what can we say for ourselves in refusing to take a stand against some of the scariest people in power (think Russia, Turkey, Hungary, Syria)?

But then these two quotes came up in my feed, and gave me a renewed sense of purpose and potential.

Here's to a greater influence of creating good work, a higher purpose outside of oneself.


"Derive happiness in oneself from a good day's work, from illuminating the fog the surrounds us" -Henri Matisse

"In serving his vision of the truth, the artist best serves his nation.” – President John F. Kennedy, who was born 100 years ago this week. 



via {sadly, I can't quite remember... will update if I find it}

0 comments:

Post a Comment