in another life... future Fridays

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."

As I am yet again confronted with my career mortality,
I made several lists of 5 things that I am the average of.

the average of 5 things I spend time on,
the average of 5 people that influence me,
the average of 5 assignments until December,
the average of 5 habits I want to build,
the average of 5 things I want to "eat"
   (mentally, emotionally--nutrition for mind/body/soul)





“We have a game we play when we’re waiting for tables in restaurants, where you have to write the five things that describe yourself on a piece of paper. When I was [in my twenties], I would have put: ambitious, Wellesley graduate, daughter, Democrat, single. Ten years later not one of those five things turned up on my list. I was: journalist, feminist, New Yorker, divorced, funny. Today not one of those five things turns up in my list: writer, director, mother, sister, happy.” (Nora Ephron) 


For the record, here is my current list...

  • Things I spend time on: time with Eric, anxiety about work, viola sound, relationships via the phone, fighting sleep
  • People that influence me: Eric, family, work colleague, 2nd family, my ideal version of myself
  • Assignments until December: going outside, weekend sketch book, superman left hand 3rd finger, wasting less food, comfort with eating more frogs
  • Habits I want to build: yoga practice, meditation regularity, letting go, smiling more, kindness. Alternatively, this as well: gratitude, abundance, health, value, and wow! (aka nascantur in admiratione)
  • Things I want to "eat" (mentally, emotionally--nutrition for mind/body/soul): water, healthy grains, real books, poetry, honest communication



via {swiss miss}
quote via {cup of jo}

0 comments:

Post a Comment