musical typography

Although I could never do this myself, this video made me smile.
The soundtrack convinced me.














Video from talented Joseph Alessio featuring his first TypeLimited Project. 

For the inaugural TypeLimited project, I acted on an idea I have had for some time. My own interests in classical music – I play violin and viola, both as an amateur and semi-professionally in a variety of orchestras and smaller ensembles – led me to the concept of a violin embellished with an appropriate quote on the nature of music. My love of classical literature provided the text. The quote itself reads as follows: “[Music] gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just, and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form.”

The quote is commonly attributed to Plato, but although many people have attempted to locate the original instance of this statement, to the best of my knowledge nobody has been able to do so. The earliest instance of which I am aware is from the book The Pleasures Of Life, Part II, by Sir John Lubbock, Bart., M.P. (Macmillan and Company, London and New York, 1889), p. 120. This source does indeed cite Plato as the author of the quote, but it appears that none of his extant writings contain these words. The source of the quote will remain a mystery, but both the sentiment and the unresolved authorship was interesting enough to incorporate it in this piece.


via {be type}

0 comments:

Post a Comment