luftmensch

I know I have posted about this book recently, but it is too good not to be reminded of the wonderful belonging of words, to reference Virginia Woolf's idea that "words belong to each other."

Some days I think I ought to be embarrassed for the amount of time I spend living in my own head. But stumbling upon these wonderful words that describe exactly this private part of me makes me think I must not be the only one.

The following are the words that describe my view of myself to a T.
What are your words for you, who you were, who you are now, who you want to be?

Hope you have a wonderful weekend exploring that softer, more internal side of you--
Happy Sunday!



"The words in this book may be answers to questions you didn’t know to ask, and perhaps some you did. They might pinpoint emotions and experiences that seemed elusive or indescribable, or they may cause you to remember a person you’d forgotten. If you take something away from this book … let it be the realization or affirmation that you are human, that you are fundamentally, intrinsically bound to every single person on the planet with language and feelings.

These words invariably prompt you to wonder, for instance, whether a culture lacking a word for the sunlight that filters through the leaves of the trees is also one lacking the ennobling capacity for such quality of presence, for the attentive and appreciative stillness this very act requires. Our words bespeak our priorities.


From the Japanese for leaving a book unread after buying it to the Swedish for the road-like reflection of the moon over the ocean to the Italian for being moved to tears by a story to the Welsh for a sarcastic smile, the words Sanders illustrates dance along the entire spectrum of human experience, gently reminding us that language is what made us human."









via {brain pickings}

0 comments:

Post a Comment