how to survive the winter

This dad's idea is the sweetest--an idea for you leftover moving boxes this summer, Gabes!

This is how we survived one of the coldest winters on record in Minnesota. Recipe: whole bunch of boxes from generous appliance stores, scrap wood from friendly neighbors, 10 rolls of tape, ridiculous amounts of time, a basement, four small stir crazy children, a crazy cold winter, voila! 
How long did it take to build? About 10 days (mostly at night after my family hit the sack), probably 30-40 hours of cutting, taping, drilling, paper cuts, etc.
How did you make the timelapse video? I didn’t actually have the idea to make a video until I built the entire thing and realized it was pretty damn cool. So as I deconstructed the boxes I used a GoPro camera to take frame by frame photos (I could trigger the camera with my smartphone off screen). Then I reversed the timelapse video so it looked like the boxes were being built. That allowed me to cut them down a little at a time for maximum fun.
How many boxes? About 12 refrigerator, one kingsize mattress box and many others of various shapes and sizes, all collected for free from generous appliance and furniture stores around town. The most expensive thing was the 10-rolls of tape… I also used scrap wood collected from a number of generous neighbors…




via {follow art}

0 comments:

Post a Comment