rekindling an old love

I used to listen to Strauss songs regularly, the ultimate love songs to me.
And I secretly long to be a singer if I had the voice and they were not such head cases.

I have not listened to them for several years,
and I reveled in the joy of reconnecting with them
as a familiar friend, as if it were completely new again
I recently discovered this one sung by Catalan singer, Monserrat Caballé.
I love these old singers (Leontyne Price! Joan Sutherland!),
not the least of which is because of their fabulous names.

And, by the way, the music nerd in me wants to analyze these to understand the harmonic progressions.
What has become of me?! Perhaps an unknown side effect of being a doctoral student.

Und morgen wird die Sonne wieder scheinen                   And tomorrow the sun will shine again
und auf dem Wege, den ich gehen werde,                       And on the way which I shall follow
wird uns, die Glücklichen sie wieder einen                       She will again unite us lucky ones
inmitten dieser sonnenatmenden Erde…                         As all around us the earth breathes in the sun
und zu dem Strand, dem weiten, wogenblauen,               Slowly, silently, we will climb down
werden wir still und langsam niedersteigen,                     To the wide beach and the blue waves
stumm werden wir uns in die Augen schauen,                  In silence, we will look in each other's eyes
und auf uns sinkt des Glückes stummes Schweigen...      
And the mute stillness of happiness will sink upon us



0 comments:

Post a Comment