handel

I woke up at 5am this morning thanks to my indecisiveness and fear,
feeling recently that I was born in the wrong century.
Don't get me wrong, of course I love the conveniences of modern life.
But the pressures of "being professional" get to me something fierce sometimes,
not really jiving with my internal world.

But then I ran across this quote, encouraging the very things I feel get lost in the hustle and bustle.
When young we have a vivid sense of basic values like trust and warm-heartedness, which we tend to neglect in today’s competitive world as we grow up, yet from birth we all have a need for affection. The emotions we experience today have not changed much over the last few thousand years, but the interest increasing numbers of people are showing in their inner world and how their emotions work is a sign of maturity. -Dalai Lama

I could not help but share these gems sung by a fellow Kansan,
the ultimate expression of emotion, of one's inner world.
They are some of my favorite Handel arias of all time,
partly because of a childhood memory of the Xerxes aria on cello.
If I could sing like that, it is yet another reason why I would be a singer in another life.




0 comments:

Post a Comment