Handel like never before

It is the first day of break, and I cannot explain how content and cozy and at ease I feel.
Now I know why Germans live for their vacations, my own personal smultronstället.
My apartment smells like cooked apples for apple sauce and roasted Brussel sprouts,
conversations with siblings far away, Mom and Dad coming to visit tomorrow,
the prospect of practicing tonight after cooking my favorite comfort food,
catching up on overdue letter writing, extra time and space to go over my German poems,
and I find this gem of a video to bring me to tears... I am that relaxed.

pronunciation | “smUl-tron-‘stel-et


The recording: an absolutely breathtaking example of how and when to take time,
of just how much a work can speak to me.

I am officially obsessed with Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, which I could have told you 3 weeks ago
when I discovered her Bach Cantata, listening to it literally 7 times in a row until 2am.
As much as I disliked him until now, Peter Sellers has redeemed himself by virtue of her presence.
Oh how I would love to have heard her live!

She nurtures my very quiet but burning desire to be a singer.
(And she was a violist until she pursued her vocal career at late age of 26.)
Maybe in a different life...

And I question whether or not I should be a musician...




From Handel's opera, Theodore

Irene

Ah! Whither should we fly, or fly from whom?
The Lord is still the same, today, for ever,
And his protection here, and everywhere.
Though gath'ring round our destin'd heads
The storm now thickens, and looks big with fate,
Still shall thy servants wait on Thee, O Lord,
And in thy saving mercy put their trust.

As with rosy steps the morn,
Advancing, drives the shades of night,
So from virtuous toil well-borne,
Raise Thou our hopes of endless light.
Triumphant saviour, Lord of day,
Thou art the life, the light, the way!
As with rosy steps. . . da capo

0 comments:

Post a Comment