a surprise in hitting the pavement

I decided recently that I need to get back to running
now that I am no longer afraid of slipping and breaking my wrist.
There is never any day like today,
and this morning proved to be my inaugural day of spring "training".

After my first time of rear-ending someone on the way to school yesterday,
my heavy-duty academic class, an interview, 4 rehearsals, some excerpt practice,
a day full of worry for a friend I no longer can take care of,
rescuing a friend from a precipice of self-flagellation and aggravation post-dress-rehearsal,
indulging in my guilty pleasure of fish n' chips and going to bed way later than is sane,
I went this morning for the first time in months.
Maybe since Thanksgiving if I am really honest.

And my early morning fog complete with crusty, bleary eyes and crazy hair
was completely caught off-guard.

The early spring of willow buds, cherry tress and forsythias has come and gone,
and the beginnings of crab-apple trees, red buds and apple blossoms are taking center stage.

Mom, so sorry you missed this week in Wichita.
Here is a little visual Trösterchen to make up for your absence.

This is the time of year when I fall in love with pink again, feeling like I am 5.


The sun was warm but the wind was chill. 
You know how it is with an April day 
When the sun is out and the wind is still, 
You're one month on in the middle of May. 
But if you so much as dare to speak, 
A cloud comes over the sunlit arch, 
A wind comes off a frozen peak, 
And you're two months back in the middle of March

Robert Frost,Two Tramps in Mud Time (1936)






photos via {google}

0 comments:

Post a Comment